Friday, January 22, 2010

The Interview

To start readers at my international trip would be a disadvantage. First, I’d like to provide an overview of the program and a few highlights of what my leadership journey has encompassed. Don’t worry, we’ll be getting to the good stuff soon enough.

The California Agricultural Leadership Program is a two-year fellowship that starts with a rigorous application and interview process. The application alone was a chore, fourteen pages about “me” along with four letters of recommendation. This already separates the wheat from the chaff.

It was in the summer of 2008, during a typical heat spell in the upper Sacramento Valley. I was preparing for my interview, something I’ve not had much experience in. I have had smaller interviews for various small jobs in college and one after college, but nothing of this magnitude. I put on my new suit, hopped in my truck, left the ranch in Bella Vista and headed to Chico State University. I recall looking at the cows in the front field while driving out the driveway, “Wish me luck, girls.”

My truck’s air conditioning was acting up. This day, it obviously wanted to put me to the test. There was also a large fire in Paradise. The air was thick with smoke, fire trucks were everywhere and I was drenched in sweat.

There is something about Chico, I always get lost. I made sure my directions led me to exactly the spot on campus I needed to be. I found a parking lot that suited me, put my suit jacket on, looked in the mirror one last time, and opened the door to the extreme 100+ degree heat and smoke.

The Chico State campus is very beautiful, but I wasn’t there to soak up my surroundings. I was on a mission, a mission to succeed. I had found the building, and saw a sign that read, “CALP Interviews.” I was getting close, and entered the building.

I wandered the halls a bit and found the room. I was right on time, and walked into the interview. I was pleased to see one familiar face, Jennifer Ryder-Fox. She was the Department Head at Cal Poly’s Crop Science Department during my senior year. She lit up when she saw me. Words can’t describe what a relief it was to have at least one ally in the room.

The questions had begun. I was hammered for the next hour on a variety of topics. These aren’t your typical yes or no questions. They were controversial agricultural topics that required much thought and consideration.

One hour and a few gallons of sweat later, I was done. When I got back in my truck, I didn’t turn on the music or pick up the phone. I was lost in thought, contemplating my every answer. By the time I hit Los Molinos, I had realized that I answered every question dead wrong, and if I could do it all over again, I might have a chance. By the time I was coming back down the driveway on the ranch, I saw the cows again and thought, “Maybe I’ll apply again next year.”

I didn’t realize that my leadership journey had already begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment